Maritime profile: Tonga

GENERAL INFORMATION FOR 2019
Population
GDP
Merchandise trade¹
0.104 Millions
530 Millions current US$
258 Millions current US$
Land area²
GDP growth
Transport services trade³
(j) 720 Km²
2.80 %
(e) 187 Millions current US$
MARITIME KEY FIGURES FOR 2019
More data on UNCTADstat
Coast/area ratio²
Ship building
Ship recycling
1 262.5 m/km²
..
..
Fleet - National flag
Fleet - National flag
Fleet - Ownership
37 Thousands DWT
34 ships
0.538 Thousands DWT
Container port throughput
Number of seafarers
Number of port calls
76 854 TEU
371
444
WORLD SHARES FOR 2019
 Less than 0.01% of the World total0.06 % Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World totalNot available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reported0.02 %0.02 % Less than 0.01% of the World total0.02 %Not available or not separately reported0.02 %Not available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reported Less than 0.01% of the World total0.06 % Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World totalNot available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reported0.02 %0.02 % Less than 0.01% of the World total0.02 %Not available or not separately reported0.02 %Not available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reported
INTERNATIONAL MERCHANDISE TRADE
More data on UNCTADstat
+56.0 %
Merchandise exports growth rate in 2019
Total merchandise trade
(millions of US$)
2005
2010
2015
2019
Merchandise exports
10
8
18
20
Merchandise imports
121
159
209
238
Merchandise trade balance
-111
-151
-191
-218
Export structure by product group in 2019
(as % of total exports)
7 %7 %14 %14 %5 %5 %74 %74 %
Top 5 partners in 2019
(exports, millions of US$)
6422264222
INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN TRANSPORT SERVICES
More data on UNCTADstat
-
Transport services exports growth rate in 2019
Services exports by main category¹⁰
(as % of total services)
2005
2010
2015
2019
Transport
10.4
19.3
23.0
-
Travel
56.6
46.0
59.9
-
Other services
33.0
34.8
15.5
-
Total trade in transport services¹⁰
(millions of US$)
2005
2010
2015
2019
Transport services exports
3
7
17
-
Transport services imports
21
27
24
-
Transport services trade balance
-19
-20
-8
-
NATIONAL FLEET
More data on UNCTADstat
-51.9 %
Fleet growth rate in2019
Carrying capacity by type of ship
(Thousands DWT)
2005
2010
2015
2019
Total fleet
125.0
77.5
79.9
37.2
Oil tankers
7.0
1.6
0.2
0.2
Bulk carriers
7.0
6.7
52.5
0.0
General cargo
101.0
60.1
11.9
14.8
Container ships
..
..
9.9
15.7
Other types of ships
10.0
9.2
5.5
6.5
Fleet by type of ship
(Number of ships)
15414011211511150151115015111611411
LINER SHIPPING CONNECTIVITY
More data on UNCTADstat
Bilateral connectivity index - Top 10 partners in 2019¹¹
Can only take values between 0 (minimum) and 1 (maximum)
0.1890.1840.1820.1800.1800.1780.1770.1770.1720.1670.1890.1840.1820.1800.1800.1780.1770.1770.1720.167
Liner shipping connectivity index¹¹
Maximum 2006=100 for China
5.17.07.07.07.06.97.67.57.37.37.37.37.37.36.76.04.84.85.05.05.06.06.06.96.66.66.36.35.75.65.65.25.25.25.14.94.94.94.95.05.05.05.05.05.04.74.74.54.54.75.25.25.25.75.76.0
PORT CALLS AND PERFORMANCE
More data on UNCTADstat
Port calls, time spent in ports, vessel age and size in 2019
 
Number of arrivals
Median time
in port (days)
Avg age
of vessels
Avg size (GT)
of vessels
Avg cargo
carrying
capacity (DWT)
per vessel
Avg container
carrying
capacity (TEU)
per container ship
Maximum size (GT) of vessels
All ships
444
0.43
12
7 227
10 040
1 167
121 878
Liquid bulk carriers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Liquefied petroleum gas carriers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Liquefied natural gas carriers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Dry bulk carriers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Dry breakbulk carriers
82
0.39
15
8 363
10 040
..
18 100
Roll-on/ roll-off ships
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Container ships
74
0.54
15
12 863
..
1 167
18 723
Passenger ships
288
..
10
5 456
..
..
121 878
Port liner shipping connectivity index - Top 5 ports in 2019¹¹
Maximum 2006=100 for China, Hong Kong SAR
1.81.81.81.81.81.81.71.81.81.81.81.81.81.81.70.8960.9350.9350.9350.9350.9350.9352.32.32.34.26.16.16.16.15.86.66.26.06.06.36.36.36.35.45.24.34.24.44.44.45.45.45.95.65.65.25.24.54.54.54.24.24.24.14.04.04.04.34.44.44.44.34.34.34.04.03.83.84.04.54.54.54.84.85.1
Source: Detailed data sources are available in the documentation of the corresponding tables in the Data Center (http://stats.unctad.org/data_center). A link to these tables is provided in each section of the profile.
Notes:
1
Sum of exports and imports.
2
Land area refers to the total area of a country excluding area under inland water bodies. It differs from the country area, that includes area under inland water bodies, but excludes offshore territorial waters.
Coastline length based on data calculated in 2000 from the World Vector Shoreline database at 1:250,000 scale.
3
Sum of exports and imports. Statistics presented correspond to the 6th edition of the IMF Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual, 2009 (BPM6, 2009).
4
Propelled seagoing merchant vessels of 100 GT and above. Source: Clarksons Research (https://www.clarksons.com/services/research/).
5
Propelled seagoing merchant vessels of 100 GT and above, on 1 January. Source: Clarksons Research (https://www.clarksons.com/services/research/).
6
Propelled seagoing merchant vessels of 1000 GT and above, on 1 January. Source: Clarksons Research (https://www.clarksons.com/services/research/).
7
UNCTAD Secretariat, derived from various sources including Dynamar B.V. Publications, terminal operators and port authorities.
8
Refers to year 2015. Source: BIMCO-ICS Manpower Report 2015.
9
UNCTAD Secretariat, based on data provided by MarineTraffic (http://marinetraffic.com). Ships of 1000 GT and above.
10
Statistics presented correspond to the 6th edition of the IMF Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual, 2009 (BPM6, 2009).
11
UNCTAD Secretariat, generated from data provided by MDS Transmodal (https://www.mdst.co.uk).
e
Estimated.
j
Estimated. Data refers to 2016.
Symbols for missing values:
0
Zero means that the amount is nil or negligible
..
Not available or not separately reported
_
Not applicable
...
Not available, including no quotation
#
Non-relevant calculation
-
Not publishable
***
Negative accumulation of flows; Value included in regional and global totals
Abbreviations & acronyms:
DWT:
Dead weight tons
LNG:
Liquefied natural gas
LPG:
Liquefied petroleum gas
GDP:
Gross domestic product
GT:
Gross tons
TEU:
Twenty foot equivalent unit
Disclaimer:
The designations employed and the presentation of the material on UNCTADstat do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the secretariat of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Where the designations "economy" or "country or area" appear in texts or tables, they cover regions, countries, territories, cities or areas.
The designations "developing", "transition" and "developed" are intended for statistical convenience and do not necessarily express a judgement about the stage reached by a particular economy in the development process.

UNCTAD strives for the highest level of accuracy and is committed to promptly correcting any errors on its part. It does not guarantee or make any express or implied representations regarding the accuracy, reliability, correctness, fitness for use for a particular purpose, or otherwise, whatsoever, of any of the tables in
UNCTADstat.
Generation date: 11 November 2020