Maritime profile: Iceland

GENERAL INFORMATION FOR 2020
Population
GDP
Merchandise trade¹
0.341 Millions
21 159 Millions current US$
10 284 Millions current US$
Land area²
GDP growth
Transport services trade³
(j) 100 250 Km²
-6.60 %
5 029 Millions current US$
MARITIME KEY FIGURES FOR 2020
More data on UNCTADstat
Coast/area ratio²
Ship building
Ship recycling
84.8 m/km²
..
..
Fleet - National flag
Fleet - National flag
Fleet - Ownership
16 Thousands DWT
40 ships
116 Thousands DWT
Container port throughput
Number of seafarers
Number of port calls
330 292 TEU
449
4 532
WORLD SHARES FOR 2020
 Less than 0.01% of the World total0.52 %0.02 %0.03 %0.03 % Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total0.01 %Not available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reported0.03 %0.03 %0.04 %0.18 %0.03 %0.26 %0.03 %Not available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reported Less than 0.01% of the World total0.52 %0.02 %0.03 %0.03 % Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total Less than 0.01% of the World total0.01 %Not available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reported0.03 %0.03 %0.04 %0.18 %0.03 %0.26 %0.03 %Not available or not separately reportedNot available or not separately reported
INTERNATIONAL MERCHANDISE TRADE
More data on UNCTADstat
-12.2 %
Merchandise exports growth rate in 2020
Total merchandise trade
(millions of US$)
2005
2010
2015
2020
Merchandise exports
3 091
4 604
4 732
4 586
Merchandise imports
4 979
3 920
5 299
5 698
Merchandise trade balance
-1 888
685
-567
-1 111
Export structure by product group in 2020
(as % of total exports)
1 %1 %11 %11 %36 %36 %51 %51 %
Top 5 partners in 2020
(exports, millions of US$)
926787505367346926787505367346
INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN TRANSPORT SERVICES
More data on UNCTADstat
-57.3 %
Transport services exports growth rate in 2020
Services exports by main category¹⁰
(as % of total services)
2005
2010
2015
2020
Transport
-
38.8
35.7
24.6
Travel
-
18.6
37.2
23.7
Other services
-
27.9
23.1
50.0
Total trade in transport services¹⁰
(millions of US$)
2005
2010
2015
2020
Transport services exports
-
1 170
1 554
685
Transport services imports
-
540
498
453
Transport services trade balance
-
631
1 056
232
NATIONAL FLEET
More data on UNCTADstat
+4.1 %
Fleet growth rate in2020
Carrying capacity by type of ship
(Thousands DWT)
2005
2010
2015
2020
Total fleet
80.0
69.4
15.5
15.9
Oil tankers
..
0.5
0.5
1.2
Bulk carriers
1.0
0.7
0.0
0.0
General cargo
3.0
0.7
2.1
2.1
Container ships
..
..
0.0
0.0
Other types of ships
76.0
67.6
13.0
12.6
Fleet by type of ship
(Number of ships)
330502300502300501300601260501
LINER SHIPPING CONNECTIVITY
More data on UNCTADstat
Bilateral connectivity index - Top 10 partners in 2020¹¹
Can only take values between 0 (minimum) and 1 (maximum)
0.1800.1720.1680.1660.1650.1600.1550.1550.1550.1350.1800.1720.1680.1660.1650.1600.1550.1550.1550.135
Liner shipping connectivity index¹¹
Maximum 2006=100 for China
7.07.06.06.16.15.45.45.45.55.55.55.55.55.45.05.05.05.05.45.45.25.25.25.35.35.35.15.15.15.24.94.94.94.94.94.84.84.74.84.94.94.84.84.94.95.15.15.15.15.25.35.15.25.25.25.25.25.15.15.1
PORT CALLS AND PERFORMANCE
More data on UNCTADstat
Port calls, time spent in ports, vessel age and size in 2020
 
Number of arrivals
Median time
in port (days)
Avg age
of vessels
Avg size (GT)
of vessels
Avg cargo
carrying
capacity (DWT)
per vessel
Avg container
carrying
capacity (TEU)
per container ship
Maximum size (GT) of vessels
All ships
4 532
0.72
15
5 395
6 912
1 095
36 700
Liquid bulk carriers
160
0.49
17
8 655
12 186
..
30 302
Liquefied petroleum gas carriers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Liquefied natural gas carriers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Dry bulk carriers
70
4.57
17
16 728
27 108
..
36 700
Dry breakbulk carriers
1 094
0.86
21
3 766
4 848
..
14 224
Roll-on/ roll-off ships
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Container ships
809
0.63
13
12 045
..
1 095
26 500
Passenger ships
2 399
..
12
3 347
..
..
35 966
Port liner shipping connectivity index - Top 5 ports in 2020¹¹
Maximum 2006=100 for China, Hong Kong SAR
2.32.32.32.32.33.73.73.73.73.73.73.73.73.63.63.63.63.63.73.73.73.73.73.83.83.83.83.73.73.73.73.72.72.72.72.73.33.32.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.92.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.72.72.82.82.81.91.91.91.91.91.91.92.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.82.85.44.64.63.83.83.03.03.64.64.63.93.93.94.64.04.04.04.04.04.03.33.43.43.43.43.43.53.53.53.83.73.83.83.53.53.43.43.43.43.83.83.43.43.83.83.83.83.83.82.32.31.81.81.71.71.71.71.71.71.24.25.05.04.64.63.93.96.66.55.55.85.85.35.35.35.35.35.35.35.35.35.34.94.95.05.25.24.95.05.05.25.25.24.84.94.94.94.64.64.64.64.64.54.54.44.44.44.44.44.44.54.54.54.54.54.64.84.84.64.74.74.74.74.75.25.25.2
Source: Detailed data sources are available in the documentation of the corresponding tables in the Data Center (http://stats.unctad.org/data_center). A link to these tables is provided in each section of the profile.
Notes:
1
Sum of exports and imports.
2
Land area refers to the total area of a country excluding area under inland water bodies. It differs from the country area, that includes area under inland water bodies, but excludes offshore territorial waters.
Coastline length based on data calculated in 2000 from the World Vector Shoreline database at 1:250,000 scale.
3
Sum of exports and imports. Statistics presented correspond to the 6th edition of the IMF Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual, 2009 (BPM6, 2009).
4
Propelled seagoing merchant vessels of 100 GT and above. Source: Clarksons Research (https://www.clarksons.com/services/research/).
5
Propelled seagoing merchant vessels of 100 GT and above, on 1 January. Source: Clarksons Research (https://www.clarksons.com/services/research/).
6
Propelled seagoing merchant vessels of 1000 GT and above, on 1 January. Source: Clarksons Research (https://www.clarksons.com/services/research/).
7
UNCTAD Secretariat, derived from various sources including Dynamar B.V. Publications, terminal operators and port authorities. Refers to year 2019.
8
Refers to year 2015. Source: BIMCO-ICS Manpower Report 2015.
9
UNCTAD Secretariat, based on data provided by MarineTraffic (http://marinetraffic.com). Ships of 1000 GT and above.
10
Statistics presented correspond to the 6th edition of the IMF Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual, 2009 (BPM6, 2009).
11
UNCTAD Secretariat, generated from data provided by MDS Transmodal (https://www.mdst.co.uk).
j
Estimated. Data refers to 2016.
Symbols for missing values:
0
Zero means that the amount is nil or negligible
..
Not available or not separately reported
_
Not applicable
...
Not available, including no quotation
#
Non-relevant calculation
-
Not publishable
***
Negative accumulation of flows; Value included in regional and global totals
Abbreviations & acronyms:
DWT:
Dead weight tons
LNG:
Liquefied natural gas
LPG:
Liquefied petroleum gas
GDP:
Gross domestic product
GT:
Gross tons
TEU:
Twenty foot equivalent unit
Disclaimer:
The designations employed and the presentation of the material on UNCTADstat do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the secretariat of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Where the designations "economy" or "country or area" appear in texts or tables, they cover regions, countries, territories, cities or areas.
The designations "developing", "transition" and "developed" are intended for statistical convenience and do not necessarily express a judgement about the stage reached by a particular economy in the development process.

UNCTAD strives for the highest level of accuracy and is committed to promptly correcting any errors on its part. It does not guarantee or make any express or implied representations regarding the accuracy, reliability, correctness, fitness for use for a particular purpose, or otherwise, whatsoever, of any of the tables in
UNCTADstat.
Generation date: 22 July 2021